Sleep Boutique cares about the environment, and we would like our lovely clients to do the same! We have teamed up with an amazing company, Re-Matt , whose Vision is to eliminate all dumping of mattresses in city landfills across Alberta. All our mattresses will be recycled in the best manner possible so that our lovely City of Calgary, Alberta can be greener. We hope the rest of the country and world can learn from Re-Matt and follow the green path of mattress recycling!
Here is some amazing information about Re-Matt and how you to can help make the world a better place for the generations to come!
“Re-Matt’s Mission is to provide and promote mattress recycling services to the province of Alberta, while protecting the environment, to provide a clean and healthy future for present and future generations.”
- We accept all mattresses from commercial businesses, residential homes, universities, hotels, hospitals, industrial camps
- We are able to recycle 95% of every mattress we receive
- Most mattresses contain: wood, foam, felt and metal which are materials that should be recycled!
- Price: $15.00 fee per unit: Mattress or boxspring
- Drop-Off available at our warehouse: Monday to Saturday: 9 AM to 3 PM (please contact for after-hours drop-off) Commercial Mattress Pick-Up
- Price: Please contact us for pricing and transportation availability
What We Do
At Re-Matt, we recycle mattresses (from both businesses and residential customers) into their raw materials (wood, foam, felt, metal etc.). Until now, there were no other ways to recycle mattresses in Calgary (or surrounding areas) and all used mattresses would end up in landfills. Mattresses can take decades to decompose and take up large amounts of space in landfills, as they are very hard to compress.
After purchasing a new mattress, consumers now have the option to bring their old mattress to our facility, where it can be broken down to raw materials. These raw materials will further be reused as new products. Re- Matt dismantles the mattress or box spring and about 95% of the materials are reused. We support Alberta local businesses by sending these raw materials to local manufacturers.
Re-Matt strives to be the green alternative. The impact mattresses have on city landfills is substantial because they are very hard to compress and take a long time to decompose. Many mattresses are incinerated as an alternative way of disposal, which has a negative effect on the environment, and the metal springs in the mattresses can be very hard on the equipment.
Re-Matt is also supporting local programs like Prospect and Vecova, employing individuals that strive to be contributors to our company and the city of Calgary.
Re-Matt is proud to be a Corporate Member of Green Calgary.
- Mattresses have a life span of about 10.8 years
- Mattresses have a compaction rate 400% less than regular garbage
- The average mattress takes up 23 cubic feet of landfill space – larger mattresses are 40 cubic feet
- One mattress can take decades to decompose
- Across the globe, 1 million mattresses will be discarded in landfills
Advantages of Recycling Mattresses
- Landfill equipment problems, created by mattresses, can be greatly reduced
- Landfill space problems, created by mattresses, can also be reduced
- Cleaner roadsides, with a reduction in illegal mattress dumping
- Saves energy and reduces waste, greenhouse gases, and the use of natural resources
- Mattresses can be 95% recycled into their raw materials, and then into reusable products
- Mattress recycling benefits local businesses who can use the salvaged materials and products
- Many communities are no longer accepting used mattresses in landfills, or are charging large fees for disposal
For more information about how you can make Calgary a greener place contact Re-Matt!
403.287.7659 | 3234 9th Street SE, Calgary, ABT2G 3C3 | www.re-matt.com