A good nights sleep plays an important role on our health and overall way of living
Here you will find interesting facts on the beneficial health impacts that a good nights sleep has on our bodies and tips on how to get that good nights sleep to help you dominate your day!
We all know that we feel great after a good nights sleep, our bags under our eyes are banished, our mood is fantastic, and we are ready to take on the world! But exactly how beneficial is a good night sleep to our health? Let’s take a look and really get to know our bodies and the health impacts a good sleep has on us!
The health benefits of a good nights sleep:
- Improve Memory – During your nights sleep your mind is actually still working and it is proven that our memories are strengthened during our sleep at night. Journal Science has performed a study that has proven that when our brains are learning something new, that information will be strengthened after a good sleep at night. For example if you are learning a new language like Spanish, if you have a good nights rest after your lesson, your brain will actually strengthen these new skills and help pass the information through the brain cells! This process is called consolidation and works whether you are learning something physical or mental.
- Live Longer – A good night sleep has a big impact on our blood pressure – which in turn can affect our lifespan. A person who tends to sleep less will have high blood pressure, which can cause heart attacks, diabetes, weight gain and other problems. Our immune systems rely on a good nights sleep more than we think, if we are depriving our systems of sleep – which in this day and age it is so easy to do as we tend to take on more than we can handle these days. If we aren’t getting the rest we need our bodies “emergency stress system” will kick in and can cause us to get very ill.
- Have a Healthy Weight – Thinking of going on a diet? Plan your sleep routine while you’re at it! The University of Chicago did a study that has proven that dieters who had good nights sleep lost 56% more weight than those who were sleep deprived. The dieters who were sleep deprived also found themselves feeling hungrier than the dieters who got a good nights rest. Since Sleep and metabolism are controlled by the same sectors in the brain, when you are sleepy certain hormones go into our blood that drive our appetite.
- Reduce Stress – With a good nights sleep you will find yourself being able to tackle your day more easily. When tired we find ourselves being irritated by the smallest thing, we are less patient and can be very easily agitated which in turn increases our stress level. It is found that adults need 7-9 hours of sleep a night to be able to tackle our busy lifestyles.
Now that we know how much of an impact a good night sleep has on our health, here is how to make it happen
- Set a bedtime and stick to it – Go to bed at the same time very night. Pick a time that you feel tired so that you are not tossing and turning forever before you fall asleep. Stick to it – don’t break this during weekends when it is tempting to stay up late.
- Wake up at the same time everyday – In order for our bodies to adapt to the sleep routine we have to make sure that it isn’t broken, it is important to make sure you wake up at the same time everyday – even on weekends.
- Nap – If you lost sleep during the night try and put it in your schedule to make up for that time by taking a nap. Try and limit it to 30 minutes tops.
- Fight the after supper drowsiness – Get off the couch and do something after dinner, avoid falling asleep at all costs. A nap after dinner will make your nights sleep dreadful and restless.
- Get a mattress to fit your needs – The biggest factor in getting a good night sleep is in your mattress. Spending at least 7 hours a night in your bed is almost a full days of work at the office – that’s a lot of time! Get the mattress you need to support your weight, give you the comfort and firmness you endure. Choosing the right mattress can be a hard decision and so many factors go into the mattress buying process. Look into a good mattress store in Calgary that is equipped with a knowledgeable team who will listen to your needs and recommend different options for you to choose from. Test the mattresses out in the showroom; wear comfy clothes lay in them for as long as you want to really get the feel of the mattress.
Watch your grandkids grow into adults and get a goodnights sleep today! Call Sleep Boutique to help in your mattress buying process – we care!
Visit Sleep Boutique – Your 100% Canadian Calgary mattress store for more advice or to find the mattress that’s best for you. (403) 287-1960 www.sleepboutique.ca Your Sleep Built Right.